Green @ BGA
Green Vision: At Boston Green Academy, we prepare our students to be leaders in the sustainability of our community and world. We do this through:
• Exposure: Establishing a meaningful relationship with our community and earth
• Experience: Grappling and engaging with real world, sustainability issues
• Empowerment: Engaging in leadership opportunities that promote sustainability
• Overnight, Outdoor trips for our all Middle School students:
• 6th Grade trip overnight trip to Thompson Island Outward Bound
• 7th Grade trip overnight trip to the Ecology School in Maine
• 8th Grade trip overnight trip to Appalachian Mountain Club in the White Mountains, NH
• Middle School Green Enrichment class with FoodCorps and “e” inc, the environmental learning and action center.
• Green, Cross-Curricular Exhibitions: We challenge our students to grapple with important environmental, social and economic issues while empowering them to create change in their own lives and beyond. Each grade level digs deeply into a sustainability issue through real world learning experiences (field trips, data collection, interviews, research), synthesizes the information and presents on their findings and solutions at their end of year exhibition.
• Project Week: Project Week is a week-long school-wide initiative that gets every student and staff member out of the building and into the city and beyond to fully immerse themselves in the exploration of cultures, identity, colleges, careers and more. Examples of last year’s projects include: helping to build a home for a family in need through Habitat for Humanity, a wilderness experience, an overnight tour of colleges outside of the Boston area, a yoga health and wellness retreat, bike tour of Boston, and community service at local nonprofits helping homeless populations.
• Senior Internships: All seniors complete a 6-week, full-time internship in a sustainability field of their choice
• High School Outdoor Leadership Club with Youth Opportunities Programs