Back to School
Welcome Back and Happy New Year!
Dear BGA Students and Families,
On behalf of the entire Boston Green Academy staff, we are excited to work with you this coming school year. This year promises to be a great one, with several new opportunities for students and our continued commitment to make sure BGA is a school where you can learn, grow and thrive. We can’t wait to see you on the first day of school, Thursday, September 7th at 8am!
Here are some key things for you to know as we get ready for the new school year:
- School Calendar- attached to this letter you will find the Boston Public Schools calendar (which BGA follows) and the BGA special events calendar. Please review both so your family can plan ahead.
- Frequently Asked Questions- Our FAQ document covers most of the major topics for middle and high school students to help you start the year, including supply lists and middle school uniform information. All students will also receive a more detailed Student Handbook and a Guide to the Boston Public Schools on the first day of school.
- Summer Reading- all students should complete the Summer Reading project by Monday, September 11th. Details can be found at www.bostongreenacademy.org/library
- Transportation- As usual, most student at BGA will use the MBTA this year to travel to and from school (unless you are a 6th grader or transportation is in your IEP). Students not taking the bus will receive a free MBTA pass (good for seven days!) at school on the first day. Information on how to travel to BGA is included in this letter and is also available on the BGA web site.
- Sports- We are excited to continue to co-op with Brighton High School for many of our sports this year. Fall tryouts have begun and times are posted on the BGA web site. We encourage everyone to participate, but please remember that a 2.0 GPA is required for eligibility. Don’t forget: BGA’s own Boston United basketball teams will continue this winter!
- New Opportunities- We are excited to offer new opportunities for BGA students this year that include: all 9th and 10th grade students will receive a mentor from the Big Brothers Big Sisters of Massachusetts Bay, our math tutoring program is expanding to the middle school, and we have new partnerships to support college readiness, the arts, student leadership, and outdoor green education. BGA continues to grow to meet the needs of our students and we appreciate your continued support.
It is very important that we build upon last year’s progress and keep our focus on learning. We will continue to ask you to follow all school rules and also challenge you to do your best every day. We know that you will succeed with hard work, dedication, and pride. We are here for you and look forward to a successful year. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact the BGA Main Office at 617-635-9860 (open 7:30am-3:30pm each school day) or check the BGA website at www.bostongreenacademy.org. Once again, Happy New Year and see you on Thursday, September 7th!
Matthew Holzer, Headmaster